If your fridge is looking anything like mine after Monday’s holiday celebrations, you probably have a few leftover links or burgers in the fridge that could use some revamping. Turn your classic American BBQ food item into an Italian dish…sausage and peppers! It’s quite simple: add some color, add your spice, and add in substance.
For a single-serve portion you’ll need:
• 1-2 tsp olive oil
• ½ cup tri-colored peppers
• ¼ cup or few slices onion
• 1 chicken or turkey sausage link
• 1 cup spinach
• ¼ – ½ cup tomato or marinara sauce
• Sprinkle Italian seasoning (or dash of oregano, basil, parsley)
• Optional: whole grain pasta or rice
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until they soften slightly, 3 minutes.
2. Slice the sausage and add to the pepper mixture.
3. Slowly fold in the spinach until it’s at a desired wilted consistency.
4. Stir in sauce and spices and finish cooking until vegetables are tender. Top with more seasoning or sprinkle of parmesan cheese, as desired. Serve over whole grain pasta or rice for a more hearty meal.