School lunches…it causes so much anxiety! The pressure to make sure your kids are eating healthy under a time-crunch to make it happen can be just too much. The best strategy is to plan ahead and be fully stocked by Monday morning with grab-and-go options. This will make your mornings less stressful – organization is key! But what to make? I find it hard to figure out what my picky eaters will actually not just throw away – we have our old standbys but with school allergy rules, it’s hard to navigate a healthy and successful lunchbox!
Here are 5 ideas to hopefully spark a new entree or two for your little ones!
Here is this version but sometimes your usual sandwich but in a pita can make it a magical lunchbox!
- 2 mini whole wheat pita pockets with grilled-chicken strips and veggies
- 3/4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt with sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas
- 8 animal crackers
Any easy version – our favorite…turkey, lettuce, and Dijon mustard pinwheels on a whole-grain tortilla!
Breakfast for Lunch
Mini-pancakes, fruit, french toast sticks, yogurt, hard boiled egg….who doesn’t love a little mid-day breakfast treat?!?
Take-to-School Taco Bar
Deconstruct your favorite taco ingredients so kids can put it together themselves!
Cream Cheese Sandwiches
My old faithful is rye bread with cucumbers and light veggie cream cheese but here are some more creative versions!
- Seedy bread + cream cheese + apricot jam
- Jewish rye + cream cheese + sliced salami + pickles
- Pumpernickel bread + cream cheese + tomato rounds + salt + pepper
- Whole wheat bread + cream cheese + sliced cucumber + mint